Tuesday, November 15, 2022

RBF’s Eclectic Excitement Playlist – November 2022

RBF’s Eclectic Excitement Playlist – November 2022

Text © Robert Barry Francos / FFanzeen, 2022
Images from the Internet

Here is my limited monthly column of some relatively cult music, be it due to initial limited release, or just having fallen out of the mainstream eye. These will be of a multitude of genres, from punk to folk, to just out there.

The songs are listed alphabetically by first letter of the artist or group, and not in a “ratings” order. Art is subjective, so I hope you like these as much as I enjoy them.

Note: There is no advertising on this page, so I will not be making anything off the work of others.

 

Amy Rigby
“Dancing with Joey Ramone”
Signature Sounds
This song is amazing, as Amy tells I am assuming is a true story about her dancing with you-know-who at a club. There are so many great songs  mentioned within the song, that I actually wrote a blog about it in 2011.


  

Angela Easterling
“I Feel Like Drinking”
Angelaeasterling.com
I had my period in the late ‘70s where I was infatuated with country. I have always liked Americana for as long as I can remember, and Angela walks that fine line between the two. The whole album from which this originates, Earning Her Wings, is great song after great song.


Carrie Newcomer
“Five Years On”
Rounder Records
I had the opportunity to see Carrie perform in New York a few years ago, and she was as engaging as she is in this on-the-fence relationship song. I have been in this position so I can relate. Despite the noise beginning, when the starts proper, it is quite compelling.


Firebug
“End of the World”
Buddha Belt Records
I first became aware of this song when I heard the EP on which it was featured (in both a short and longer version). Jules Shapiro’s vocals are quite unique in this soft rocker. I understand they have a new record out. At some point, I’ll have to check it out.


Mad Agnes
“Dancing Man”
madagnes.com
This singer-songwriter trio consists of Margo Hennebach,
Mark Saunders, and fronting the vocals on this song (as they all have their own repertoire), Adrienne Jones. This upbeat number is a personal view of Jones’ personality, as seen by herself and others. It’s quite catchy.


Mary Lou Lord
“His Indie World”
Kill Rock Stars Records
Part of the nascent Riot Girrrl scene in Seattle before moving to the Boston area, Mary Lou wrote or sang many pieces about her ex-lover Kurt and his new flame, Courtney. This one is a lovely one about being attracted to someone who is into independent music. Nearly all these bands mentioned went on to some level of fame. I interviewed her when her first EP was released, for Oculus Magazine



Oral Fuentes Reggae Band
“One Stop”
oralfuentes.com
To be honest, pure reggae is repetitious to me, perhaps because I do not imbibe so I lose the groove. Oral’s band, though, mixes different types of reggae, ska and Belizean riddims to make a sound that I can relate to, which is good because he's an ex-neighbor and friend of mine, who I had the chance to interview a while back. We actually met over the back fence. 



She Wolves
“Hundred Bucks”
Poptown Records
In their two incarnations, this power punk/rock trio were so much fun. This is one of their earlier, punkier songs, with Donna She Wolf’s guitar and vocals smashing, the Tony Mann on drums smashing, and bassist and vocalist Laura Sativa just, well, smashing. I wrote an article about them as my very first blog. 


Star and Dagger
“Your Momma Was a Grifter”
333 Records
Donna She Wolf transformed into Dava She Wolf, and joined this down and dirty, bluesy rock collective with a smoky edge. The song reminds me a bit of “House of the Rising Sun” in attitude, and the video, based on Russ Meyer’s Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (1965) is sheer perfection with Dava nailing her Tura Satana vibe.


Tamara Hey
“Right This Minute”
Tamaramusic.com
To give you some idea, I went to see a singer-songwriter at the Rockwood, and after her show, Tamara came on. We figured we would stay for a song or two to see what she was like, and ended up staying the whole set, and getting a CD to boot. Tamara’s songs are not typical love-spoon-June types, but deeper meanings of relationships, including, sexual identity, loss, and passion.


No comments:

Post a Comment