Thursday, November 18, 2021

Space and Time: The Context of Museums and Locations with Holocaust Thoughts

Space and Time: The Context of Museum and Locations with Holocaust Thoughts

 Text © Robert Barry Francos / FFanzeen, 2021
Images from the Internet

The way one approaches a space can be affected by its history, and especially time. It can also be warped by our own perceptions of context.

We have all visited museums, a place where objects are taken out of its original space/framework, and placed in an unrelated location where it becomes a collection of objects, often transforming it into something else devoid of meaning. For example, at the British Museum,  there are a number of dead bodies on display, from the “Bog Man” (also known as Lindow Man) to Ancient Egyptian mummies. Museums can be, in fact, cemeteries, but because there is no tomb, no hole in the ground, the meaning of the persons’ life and especially death, becomes trivial for the observer. Their existence transforms into a museum art object rather than the corpse of someone who had a life that was either recognized or not at its time. But more about this later.

In 1993, while my partner was at a conference in Washington, DC., I visited the newly opened Museum of Jewish Heritage – Holocaust Museum. Being the age I am, and that I grew up in a neighborhood with Middle-Class Jews like myself, the Holocaust was not unfamiliar to me: for example, the couple who ran the local grocery store of my childhood had numbers tattooed on their forearms. As I managed my way through the museum, I saw the edicts showcased on the walls, the photos and videos strewn here and there, and felt, honestly, nothing much. It was all so out of context, bright and shiny, soaked in neon lights, and familiar at the same time.

Making my way along the pathway, it took me through a boxcar, one that was used to transport the Jews to the death camps. As soon as my foot hit the bare wooden floor, suddenly everything changed. I was no longer in a museum, but in an actual place. Truthfully, I immediately felt different. The context had changed. No longer was it images posted on a wall, or videos on closed circuit televisions, I was in the place. Frankly, it took me by surprise, how uncomfortable and disoriented I felt about my surroundings. When I crossed to the other side, and stepped back onto the polished linoleum museum floor proper, the feeling instantly vanished. Deep down, I did not understand what happened, or what intergenerational trauma was at the time.


During the Summer of 1998, I had the opportunity to visit the beautiful city of Krakow, Poland, the buildings of which mostly were untouched by World War II. Charming houses, squares, and parks are for the locals and tourists on which to marvel.

From Krakow, we took bus tours to various destinations, such as a 22-minute ride southeast to the Salt Mines that were, indeed, turned into amazing works of art.

We also went to Auschwitz, the German death camp, which was an hour west of Krakow. I was surprised by how green it had been transformed. Rather than keeping it in the state of mud and dirt that pervaded it while 1.1 million Jews, gays, Gypsies, and political dissidents were systematically killed, the land was full of grass and flowers. I found that odd and almost uncomfortable that they would try to make it peaceful, like it was a living non-sequitur.

During the tour of the camp, some of the buildings were filled with luggage, others with hair, shoes, or eyeglasses, and the like. I noticed at least three bags that had the name “Weiss” on it. In grade school, I had a friend named Joel Weiss who lost much of his family to the camps, and I wondered if any of these belonged to them.


There was a lot of unease, as one might expect in a place like that, but it was more the way the space was projected and described. At one point, we passed a wall that had been used as a backdrop to a firing squad to execute people. Our tour guide, a middle-aged woman, pointed to it and said loud and plain, “Against this wall, they shot the great Polish martyr [his name].” And then in a lower, quick voice as if it were secondary, “And 10,000 Jews.” Going to another building, there was a cell, and she announced, “In this cell, the great Polish poet [his name] was tortured and brutally killed,” and again lower, “…and 30,000 Jews.” I found it quite startling.


Towards the end of the tour, we approached the gas chambers. I stepped inside, and for a few moments, I was the only one in there. It was quite profound for me, looking around this surprisingly large room with non-functioning shower heads and numerous finger scratchings along the walls. This felt incredibly visceral to me, and I had the thought, “If I was here in the 1940s, while I would have been conscious walking in, I would not be aware going through the back door,” which led to the crematorium.

I stepped through that back door and there was a younger couple already ahead of me. The woman was pointing to the oven like Vanna White when she just-turned a letter on “Wheel of Forturn,” with a big grin on her face, while her boyfriend was taking some vacation snapshots. I was appalled, and my partner and I had a long talk about it on the bus ride back to Krakow.

What I have come to realize is that there is a difference between the space in a museum and the actual location where an event happened. A museum tends to be safe, its dangerous material like weaponry or other material of a violent past is removed from context, and it becomes benign, turned into artifacts. That certainly is its goal, I would wonder.

Despite it being before the big Internet boom, that young couple who were taking the vacation photos in the crematoria was separated from that real/museum dichotomy, and did not really comprehend the difference. They had grown up with museums, and for them, this was merely one of them, a site they had probably heard about in class from teachers that were as far removed from reality as the tour guide. That’s part of culture, that the Other is distanced from the every day. There was no connection for them as it was for me, who had also lost family to this death machine. It went beyond mere history books to  a personal, instinctive level for me, but not for them.

Since moving to Saskatchewan, I have wondered if the local First Nations and especially Metis people have that intergenerational trauma experience when they visit Batoche, the site of the Louis Riel Rebellion of 1885, or the stone circles near Eastend left by First Nations peoples who were starved by the North-West Mounted Police. Do the Settler generations react the same as that couple, that it is a story from a book, even though they are in the actual spot where a rebellion occurred? Do the tour guides discuss the brave Canadian soldiers, and blithely mention the genocide that let up to the rebellion?

It is all in the context of the place and how it is approached as either a museum or a location of angst. It is also in the perspective of the person viewing it, and their relationship to the events, if any. In her 2012 book, A Geography of Blood, I believe that author Candace Savage, though of Settler stock, was tuned in enough to the land to realize of what the rock circles were indicative. If I went to Batoche, I am not certain I would feel that, but I would hopefully be more aware of my consciousness and take a check on my own placement in its violent history.

It should be noted that I did take a single picture of myself on the grounds of Auschwitz: on the way out, I stood under the gate sign that reads “Arbeit Macht Frei” (work will set you free). I did this in defiance, to say in my own way, “You didn’t get me, you Nazi bastards!“



 

No comments:

Post a Comment