Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Punk Temple Faces, Pt 1: May 3, 2003

Text and photos (c) Robert Barry Francos

Those who read this know that I was a frequent flyer at the Punk Temple, the best (even if only) punk club that was not only in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, but in a Synagogue basement (and yes, they had shows on Saturday nights, which always confused me).

While it was great seeing all the bands that played there, and there were a multitude of amazing shows thanks to the great guys that ran it, one of the enjoyment of going there was to see the audience, who were enthused about what they were hearing and seeing.

Yes, I enjoy taking pictures of the bands, but the show includes the fans, and I've always tried to capture the moment of the whole show, on stage and off. Here is a one-day view of some of the action. The date was May 3, 2008, if you haven't guessed that already. Captions are before the photos; note that not all these bands exist anymore, but I listed them as they were then. Hopefully, this will be the first of a series of 2003 shows. I went to more shows than in 2003, but this is the year I had them scanned (pre-digital). Enjoy!

Waiting for Tracer's set to begin

Yes, Stray 76 has lots of male fans, too

Eva and Ilya

Surfing while At A Loss plays

They asked me to take their picture

Diver during At a Loss not sure what do to when the song breaks

Moshing during Friendly Fire

Getting a "kick" out of Friendly Fire (yeah, I know, too easy)


Just after the guy in front got his tooth chipped when he got pushed by moshers and his face slammed the stage during Friendly Fire


Waiting for 5 Cent Deposit to start their set


This gaggle of girls were the most consistent to attend shows at the Temple


Vonny standing her ground and saying, "No!" to potential diver while 5 Cent Deposit play on


Surfin' to 5 Cent Deposit

3 comments:

  1. Ahh! I'm the girl crowdsurfing at the bottom! God I miss that place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha, that's great. Now, when anyone wants proof that you were there, you can say you were seen at the scene.

    Yeah, we all miss it dearly.

    ReplyDelete