Saturday, October 15, 2022

RBF’s Eclectic Excitement Playlist – October 2022

RBF’s Eclectic Excitement Playlist – October 2022

Text © Robert Barry Francos / FFanzeen, 2022
Images from the Internet

Here is my limited monthly column of some relatively cult music, be it due to initial limited release, or just having fallen out of the mainstream eye. These will be of a multitude of genres, from punk to folk, to just out there.

The songs are listed alphabetically by first letter of the artist or group, and not in a “ratings” order. Art is subjective, so I hope you like these as much as I enjoy them.

Note: There is no advertising on this page, so I will not be making anything off the work of others.

Babes in Toyland
“Bruise Violet”
WMG
Part of Seattle’s Riot Girrrl scene, they were overshadowed (as was everyone else) by Hole, though I thought this group was more interesting. The song is about the Kat Bjelland (vox) and Courtney Love rivalry. I always felt the Riot Girrrl movement was more interesting than the testosterone-fueled concurrent grunge sound. I’m glad I was able to see them live at CBGB.


Get Wet
“Morton Street”
Boardwalk / Columbia Records
Sherri Beachfront has an amazingly powerful voice, and for a brief moment of time, it was recognized on a major scale, with a relative hit single of “Lonely” and a cover of “Where the Boys Are.” The music is pure pop with Zecca’s keyboard soaring. I interviewed them at the time, just as their album was released. There is a lot of good music with a bend toward the theatrical on the album, but this song always felt the strongest, if not mainstream radio friendly. This is the live version from a show at the Ritz where I was also in attendance.


HER and Kings County
“My Backyard”
WMG
Mixing country, rock and a tad of rap, HER hails from Brooklyn, but has since moved to Nashville to be closer to the source. She has a good voice for both country and rock, and has a new album. Not to be confused with current rapper H.E.R.


Lizzie Borden and the Axes
“Out of Touch”
Never Found Guilty Records
I first heard this Boston pop ditty on a local indie music channel (“V66”) in BossTown. They were pretty popular on their own turf, but I find this very infectious melody keep popping up in my head all these years later.


The Pandoras
“Stop Pretending”
Rhino Records
The band is better known for “Hot Generation,” but I like this cold-hearted attack so much more. They were commonly crossing over between garage and rock, until the death of lead singer Paula Peirce. Although they were a California band, I saw them play once at Irving Plaza, in New York.


Patsy Montana and the Prairie Ramblers
“I Want to Be a Cowboy’s Sweetheart”
Melotone Records
It’s funny that this should be here, because at one time this was such a major hit, it is the very first record disc (78) by a woman to ever to sell a million copies, way back in 1935. It’s definitely the yodel that makes the song, but I love the lyrics, as well as Patsy’s voice. Lyrically, a sweet other-side to Doris Day’s “Button’s and Bows.”


The Planet Smashers
“Fabrication”
Stomp Records
I actually know very little about this ska punk band from Montreal, but their intensity is striking, and the social statement of the song also attracts me. Should be right up there with The Specials, rather than the more amusing-toned Madness. The drive in this song is what helps propel the message.


The Slickee Boys
“Ya Gotta Tell Me Why”
Dacoit Records
Man, not only were the Slickee Boys a great band out of the DC area, like the Fleshtones, they were even more so live. Luckily, I saw them more than once at CBGB. They are better known for “Heart On” and their cover of “Glendora,” but the beat and excitement of this song keep me coming back.


The Speedies
“Let Me Take Your Photo”
Golden Disc Records
Like the Jag’s “Back of My Hand,” there was a time when this power pop song was all over the clubs. Not surprising, though, because it has an extremely catchy chorus. Happily, I saw them open for The Tourists (who would change their name to the Eurythmics) at the Bottom Line, in New York.


The Vipers
“Cheated and Lied”
Passport Records / Jem Records
When the garage revival was at its height during the early-to-mid-‘80s, one of the regulars on the scene were this garage pop band, led by Jon Weiss, who later helped organize the CaveStomp! series of shows. I interviewed them when their Outta the Nest LP was released. Their “Nothing’s From Today” is better known, but I like this one even more.


No comments:

Post a Comment