Monday, August 15, 2022

RBF’s Eclectic Excitement Playlist – August 2022

 RBF’s Eclectic Excitement Playlist – August 2022

Text © Robert Barry Francos / FFanzeen, 2022
Images from the Internet

Here is my limited monthly column of some relatively cult music, be it due to initial limited release, or just having fallen out of the mainstream eye. These will be of a multitude of genres, from punk to folk, to just out there.

The songs are listed alphabetically by first letter of the artist or group, and not in a “ratings” order. Art is subjective, so I hope you like these as much as I enjoy them.

Note: There is no advertising on this page, so I will not be making anything off the work of others.

AgesandAges
“No Nostalgia”
Knitting Factory
What is noteworthy about this ensemble, of course, is the harmony that brings out the rhythms as well. Even the solos are interesting if occasionally breathy. I like this live rendition as much as the original studio recording.


Cherie and Marie Currie
“Since You’ve Been Gone”
Capitol  Records / Renaissance Records
After leaving The Runaways (who I saw her play with at CBGB), lead vocalist Cherie went on to her own solo career, highlighted by this gem featuring her twin sister. Though they look alike, it’s easy to tell which is which by the way they dance. Cherie has some very distinctive splits. This song actually charted in the US Top 100, but faded as fast as it came.


Chris Stamey
“Summer Sun”
Ork Records
Known for his work with Alex Chilton and the dBs, this solo release (produced by Chilton) is a sublime slice of love on a hot afternoon in a pop format. Stamey’s voice is perfect for what he is trying to say. I’m surprised this did not become bigger. I once spent a fun afternoon hanging out with Stamey and Chilton while they were being interviewed for another fanzine. 


Cycle Sluts From Hell
“I Wish You Were a Beer”
Epic Records
A tongue-in-cheek metal cult classic, this is off the band’s only album. It’s co-writer, Honey 1%-er, would go on to the She Wolves as Donna She Wolf, and then Star & Dagger. I interviewed her more than once. The song is wild, ridiculous, and incredibly catchy. The whole “Singing in the Rain” part is a distraction, but the rest is gawdy good.


The Diodes
“Tired of Waking Up Tired”
Bongo Beat Records
This group is part of the Toronto First Wave punk movement, and occasionally still tour. Their other songs include the hook-laden “Child Star” about the death of Anissa Jones, and a cover of the Cyrcle’s “Red Rubber Ball.” But this live version of their song is, for me, my fave version.


John Watts
“URSo”
SoReal Records
The story I heard is that the song was originally supposed to be “You Asshole,” but Watt’s daughter suggested the change to make it more marketable. I agree. John is the lead of the British group Fischer-Z, as well as having a solo career. I had the opportunity to introduce him at a General Semantics conference where he performed. John’s voice is deep, and the regret of the song permeates the message.


Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers
“The New Teller”
Beserkley Records
Yes, I know Richman is an indie artist icon, and many of his songs, such as “Roadrunner” and “Abominable Snowman in the Market” are must haves. His appearance in the film There’s Something About Mary (1998) solidified his role as cult. I’ve seen him live at last four times since 1977 through 2018. However, this song is different as it wasn’t on any of his releases, but rather a compilation album called Beserkley Chartbusters Vol. 1. It remains my fave of his songs.



Psycotic Pineapple
“Hang on for Your Life”
Richmond Records
A song about driving that you should never listen to while driving, because odds are you’ll be speeding by the end. The vocals are unique and the song is hilarious. But it should be noted that all their songs off their album are worth a listen, such as “I Wanna Wanna Wanna Wanna Get Rid of You,” “I Forgot Who I Forgot Who I Was,” and the deadpan “Headcheese,” which is another favorite. The whole LP is spectacular in their quirky way.


Rachel Harrington
“Summer’s Gone”
Skinny Dennis Records
Americana music, a branch of Bluegrass, can be perky as hell, or hauntingly beautiful in gothic tones and themes. This falls into the latter. The banjo is striking in its slow pace as the ballad tells the story of the rains after the harvest, and a mystery of a family. It has stuck with me from the first time I heard it.


X-Teens
“Change Gotta Come”
Dolphin Records
Hailing from the DC area, this is a pop rock band with some punk attitude. The chorus is catchy as fire, amid the topic of the possibility of the end of the world. Note that, in my opinion, the video is too much, so you may want to forward to the actual song at 1:30. And maybe you will be able to answer the question, “Whatever happened to the Love Generation”?



No comments:

Post a Comment